Mobile Acceptable Use Policy
St. Martin Parish School Board
Mobile Device Acceptable Use Policy
The term, Mobile device, for the purpose of this policy refers to, but is not limited to, handheld devices provided by the St. Martin Parish School Board and allowed in the school system and on
SMPSB’s network for educational purposes. Some examples are: iPod Touch, iPad, Netbook,
2goPad, Kindle, Nook, Pocket PC, Palm, etc. Said mobile devices are property of St. Martin
Parish School District and must be used in accordance with SMPSB’s Acceptable Use Policy, Procedures, and all applicable laws. Use of these mobile devices, as well as access to the network, the Internet, and email are a privilege, not a right. These devices are provided for educational purposes only and are intended to support learning and increased access to technology. Only District-issued mobile devices are allowed in the schools and on SMPSB’s network. All others are prohibited. The mobile devices are to remain at school at all times, unless duly checked out through the proper procedures set forth by SMPSB.
• The mobile device is school board property and all users will follow this policy AND the St. Martin Parish School Board Technology and Internet Acceptable Use Policy.
• The mobile device should be used in a responsible and ethical manner.
• Each device is assigned to an individual teacher or student and should not be shared.
• Passwords should not be changed or altered on the device.
• Device should be housed in a secure designated area at all times.
• All software/Apps must be district approved.
• All downloading/syncing should be done in accordance with district procedures.
• Email (or any other computer communication should be used only for legitimate and responsible communication between students, faculty, and the outside world.
• Mobile device should always be within the protective case provided.
• SMPSB has the right to review items for appropriateness and to limit or revoke access to mobile device at any time for any reason.
• Any action that violates the St. Martin Parish School Board Technology and Internet Acceptable Use Policy, any existing Board policy or public laws is unacceptable.
• Alterations and modifications are prohibited. For example: changing the device log in, iTunes username or password, taking the device apart, altering the pre-loaded operating system or application, changing settings
• User should not attempt to download software, applications (Apps), etc. unless permission is granted by SMPSB. If illegal software or non-approved Apps are discovered, the mobile device will be restored, re-imaged, or re-formatted.
• User should not try to access sites that are intentionally blocked by SMPSB. For example: Myspace, Facebook, chat sites, instant messaging, proxies, etc. Playing non-academic internet games is prohibited.
CONSEQUENCES OF INAPPROPRIATE USE
• The use of any SMPSB computer, mobile device, computer network, etc. is a privilege and not a right. Students and employees are expected to use the mobile devices in their care in accordance with the SMPSB Technology and Internet Acceptable Use Policy and the SMPSB Mobile Device Acceptable Use Policy, and any applicable existing Board policies and applicable laws.
• Depending on the nature and degree of the violation and the number of previous violations, unacceptable use may result in one or more of the following consequences for students:
1. Suspension or cancellation of use and access privileges;
2. Payment for damages and repairs;
3. Disciplinary actions in accordance with other appropriate school district policies as stated in the St. Martin Parish Student Handbook including:
a) Detention, suspension, and or expulsion from school;
b) civil or criminal liability under other applicable laws;
c) restitution for restoration costs.
• Depending on the nature and degree of the violation and the number of previous violations, unacceptable use may result in one or more of the following consequences for employees:
a) Suspension or cancellation of use and access privileges
b) Payment for damages and repairs
c) Disciplinary actions in accordance with other appropriate school district policies as stated in the St. Martin Parish Policy Handbook (IFBGA)
I have read the SMPSB’s Technology and Internet Acceptable Use Policy AND SMPSB’s Mobile Device Acceptable Use Policy. I fully understand and agree to abide by this policy when utilizing the District’s mobile device, network, or the Internet. I understand that violation of this policy may constitute suspension and/or revocation of my mobile device, network, and Internet privileges. I also understand that violation of this policy could result in other disciplinary action.
Name___________________________________ Date ____________________________________
Signature ________________________________ School/Office ____________________________